This autoanalyzer multimeter helps to perform all standard electrical tests for on-car and bench troubleshooting by locating faulty wiring and testing electrical components, engine sensors, ignition and fuel systems, and starting/charging system voltage. It can also pinpoint problem areas and determine which components need repair or replacement. It tests diodes, batteries, fuses, switches, solenoids, and relays. It includes 19 ranges for more accurate measurements. The backlit LCD helps day or night viewing, hold button retains display data, and alligator clips are included for hands-free testing of lead connections. It also includes a comprehensive user manual and a 1-year warranty.

Shipping Weight: 12.8 ounces
ASIN: B0006V2BP0
Item model number: CP7665

Actron CP7665 AutoAnalyzer – Digital Automotive Multimeter

Equus 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter

This multi-meter is a general-purpose instrument designed for use in general electronics, home electrical applications, and automotive electrical and electronic systems. It has auto-ranging scales which eliminate the need to dial in the correct range when making electronic measurements. The 10-megohm input is safe for automotive and household uses like fuses, wiring, general-purpose batteries, and automotive circuits. It has a color-coded LED which displays a battery quick check, showing green for good, yellow for weak and red for replacement. It also comes with protective rubber corner guards for drop protection. This meter is designed to test AC or DC voltage, batteries, AC and DC currents, resistance, diodes, and continuity.

Equus 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital MultimeterMultimeters)

27 Responses so far.

1. Jim Hampton says:

Excellent unit, better than any prosumer meter available at Radio Shack. The built-in stand is great. Display size great. Meter leads with included protective removable tip covers great. Battery condition indicator LED great. Do not pass on this unit!

2. Jon L Iveson says:

nice, big numbers. it has elastic bands to strap on to the wrist. good test leads, i guess – removable and replacable

3. Melissa McCreery says:

First of all, I do like my new multimeter. I do computer work and I frequently have to test for power. The small probes with this multimeter fit all but the most microscopic power adapters, so it proves useful getting tight spaces. You can use this thing on your vehicle and inside the home, so it’s very versatile. For people like me than don’t know a ton about electrical power, the auto ranging feature makes testing VERY simple.

However, the neatest features of this multimeter were…cheap. The two “hooks” for the probes to hold them off the table don’t hold very well at all. They work, but the probes are more than likely to fall when you pick up the multimeter…so keep the caps on to prevent stabbing yourself.

The other issue I had was more of a geek thing. The three LED’s that show the power for the batteries on my multimeter no longer work, and that happened after less than 24 hours after opening the packaging. It doesn’t matter much because if you’re testing a 1.5v battery and the screen says 0.3, it’s “dead”. I just like stuff that’s supposed to be lit to actually light up when they are supposed to.

4. Tim Bonderud says:

This is a very nice multi-meter. Not just for auto but also home. The large lcd screen is easy to see, and the auto range is great. It makes it simple to use. Also there is a strap on the back to go around your wrist, or you can take it off and and use the fold-out stand. However the probes do not stay in the holders.

5. Gurleen Kaur says:

I purchased this multimeter looking for the best in the low-budget class (under $40). The size and form factor is just about perfect. It feels good in the hand and can be strapped to the wrist for freeing up both hands while working. The oversized display is clear and easy to read.

This multimeter is geared more toward automotive measurements than engineering so those looking for hFE, capacitance, and very low current measurements (microamperes) might want to look elsewhere. I found accuracy to be pretty good overall, however resistance measurement across bare leads did not read zero Ohms as it should. I had no success measuring microamperes with this meter.

For the price I wish there were more features. The battery measurement is a nice touch other meters don’t have as it shows what battery voltage is under load, but if you subtract 1/2 volt on an ordinary voltmeter’s reading you’ll get roughly the same results.

6. Anne Hilton says:

This little meter is outstanding! I own a Fluke DMM 179 and of course that meter is top of the line. But would you believe this Equus 3320 is 99% spot on with it’s readings when compared to a recently calibrated Fluke 179!! I compared measurements with the Equus 3320 and the Fluke 179, in AC Voltage, DC Voltage, Resistance, and DC voltage for the Equus in the Battery test modes. It had literally almost identical readings to the Fluke! The circuit board appears to use mostly prime spec electrical components, so I suspect it will remain accurate for a long time as long as it’s not abused.

This meter sells on Amazon for less than $20, and has auto ranging. This means instead of having to dial in the max value manually the meter figures out what DCV range to use (if you were measuring DC voltage for example). It’s the same deal for other measurements like resistance, AC Voltage, etc, just set to that measurement type and the meter figures out the correct max range. Most auto ranging meters below $99 have slow auto ranging acquisition speed (this is the time it takes for the meter to figure out what range to use). Many of the cheaper auto ranging meters take several seconds to figure out the correct range and then display the measurement. Not the $19 Equus 3320, it was just as fast as the Fluke 179, which is a second or less in the voltage measurements, and under 2 seconds for resistance (resistance auto ranging takes slightly longer on all meters because the meter must send a small amount of current across the device under test first before trying to acquire the range).

The battery test function (which my Fluke 179 does not have) is the main reason I purchased this meter. The battery test goes beyond just measuring the voltage of the battery any cheap meter can do that all day long. The battery test function in the 3320 puts the battery under a current load (10 Milli amps for both 1.5v and 9v batteries) and then measures the voltage. This gives you a much better idea of if the battery is really good or not and will really perform in your devices. Some batteries on a bare voltage test show good voltage, but that good voltage will quickly drop to unusable levels once the battery is put under load. So testing batteries with a meter that has a battery test function is far superior to just checking it’s voltage. This feature alone makes the $19 price for this meter well worth it!

As a few other reviewers have said, it can only measure 200 Milli Amps of current in AC (whereas DC can measure up to 10 Amps). Most other multimeters can measure 10 amps of DC or AC current. So if you are looking to measure any substantial AC current this is the wrong meter. In fact for any current measurements I recommend a current clamp like the ExTech 623 or ExTech 380942 since you can clamp right over a live insulated wire (while the circuit is operating) and take your measurement. With any standard multimeter (like the 3320) you have to wire it in line with the circuit first (with the circuit powered off) and then you can take your measurement. But if you are looking for a compact, accurate multimeter for your garage or home (where you will not need AC current measurements) then look no further you cannot beat the accuracy, auto ranging speed, and the price of the Equus 3320.

7. Ashlee Pannell says:

This is a great multimeter, it has all the options I need to handle my discrete components except capacitors. I like the auto adjust which adjusts to specifically the resistance your measuring, etc. It also has continuity check which is very useful after soldering. Overall I’m very satisfied with this item and you can’t beat the price for what you get.

8. Larry Cicchiello says:

Multimeter is OK. If you want to measure low voltages or continuity, make sure to replace the probes first. There is something wrong with the metal coating of probe tips. You have to press the metal tips hard to hear the buzzer. After I replaced the probes there was no problem.

I suspect the metal plating of the probe tips is improperly formulated. It probably suffers from some type of oxide forming on them that has poor conductivity. You can rub, but it immediately forms again due to the exposure to air.

9. Aaron Brooks says:

I have purchased this item to check the voltage of my car battery. It works well indicating a right voltage value. It seems, however, first a little bit complicate for me to use; I need to know where I put two pins’ outlets among three holes and which dial position is relevant to my case. I just followed the manual attached, which describes how the multimeter can be used in case of checking a car battery. So I did not have any problem.

Just to remind you, one important thing for using the multimeter is that you should always connect a red point first to the equipment to check, then black. When you detach, disconnect black first, then the red point. This will give the multimemter a longer life.

10. Lisa Nelson says:

I would only read the reviews from certified amazon (with a grain of salt) purchasers or watch EEVblog on youtube to figure out what you need in a dmm. WAY too many reviews for this product that sound like they went through a Chinese to English translator. Don’t hurt yourself with a substandard product, do your research.

11. Krystal Kuehn says:

No nice case, so I’m living in agony over loosing the little plastic caps for the probes and connectors. Likewise, I know very little about electronics (that’s why I bought the thing – to learn) and it assumes I know what I’m doing. The manual is about 2 pages – which is good because that is all you need to know. Problem is that it was written by someone who understands electronics. I would wish for a manual had step by step operations for each operation. Well, it’s built well, so I suppose it would be untoward to expect a nice leatherette case and a full color hard bound manual with it for the price. It looks cool on my desk too! People think I know how to use it.

12. Ed Voos says:

As others have said, the lead holders are useless and the leads are cheap, but leads can be replaced. The meter is easy to use, relatively fast and the numbers are easy to read for my 54 year old eyes, even without my reading glasses. The 10-amp port makes it usable on my motorcycle and cars (not for starter or charging circuits). Definitely worth the money.

13. Jason Davidson says:

This meter will serve for general home use but is nothing special. The case clips that hold the lead contacts are very weak and useless.

14. Vincent Pham says:

Having 3 of the good old Radio Shack analog meters at home, one of which works but in limited ranges, I needed a new one that read over 1M ohms. Did some research and this one seemed to fit the bill. And it does. Probes seem of good quality and they go in their socket at an angle, unlike the straight on RS ones which then can break off. Good size. Has a wrist strap so you don’t have to hold it in your hand and also try and manipulate both leads. The surprise for me was the battery tester. This is NOT just a voltage tester. It puts a load on the battery to tell whether it’s usable. So the 9V battery from my smoke alarm tests at 9V but the alarm said ‘low battery’. Testing with this device and, lo and behold, under load they’re only 6.3V (in addition to lighting the appropriate LED, the device also reads the voltage)! Having looked at battery load testers, and finding them more expensive than this device, I was extremely pleased to find out that this wasn’t just a battery voltage reader. The aggravation saved in using ‘good’ but actually not good batteries (“I don’t get it. The batteries test out just fine. Why doesn’t the stupid flashlight work?”) is worth the price all by itself. I can’t comment on durability or range-jumping, as I haven’t had it a long time and do not do fine fuel-injection testing as one other reviewer does. Perhaps the automotive version would have been better for them. I did notice that the read-out does jump around if you aren’t holding the probes absolutely still, so clips work better. Great tool and I’m delighted to have it.

15. Aniket Kambale says:

So far, so good. Excellent meter, nice display and works very well and is easy to use. It’s a lot of meter for the price.

16. Deven Jerry says:

I use expensive fluke DMMs all of the time at work and was going to buy one for home use when my Sears DMM (that was pretty much a piece of junk, couldn’t auto range, and eventually wouldn’t shutoff) started annoying me. So, I chose a $129 Fluke meter then happened upon this meter. I figured what the heck for $25 and decided to order it. If you need a home meter that AUTORANGES (this is a big deal) and works, you really can’t go wrong with this product. The autoranging is great, VDC, VAC, & continuity have tested fine thus far and I think the leads are like any other DMM I have used. This is a killer deal for $25.00.

17. Michael A Jones says:

This is a good little meter.

Thumb uppers: Small overall size, large LCD display, auto-ranging, uses 2 AA batteries, uses standard sized banana plugs so is compatible with several 3rd party or customized probes/connectors.

Thumb downers: probe clips are such weak, soft rubber that they don’t grip the probes securely. And it would be nice for a little more $$ to include a case. So instead buy a $3 camera case to solve both deficiencies. Too bad the over-sized instruction booklet isn’t the same size as the meter so it can be stored in the same case.

18. Amy Carter says:

So far so good. This product has not disappointed me in anyway with the tests I have done with it.

19. James Handforth says:

This Equus “3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter” is exactly what I was looking for in an inexpensive meter for use in helping to teach my son basic electronics. This has all of the measuring capabilities that we need for measuring voltage, resistance, and current, with the diode checker a nice addition.

The unit feels good in the hand and also has a very nice built in stand as well. The LCD display is clear and easy to read from most angles.

Recommended!

CFH

20. Michelle Kabele says:

Its just what I wanted and does all that I need and I can actually hear the continuity beep! Thats awesome and the display is very easy to read. Battery checker is nice and even the wife can use that.

Update. The battery checker quit working about the third tIme I went to use the meter and this was the biggest selling point for me so the wife could check batteries easily. Meter still works on all the rest I have tried just a bummer the battery part quit. Lowered a couple of stars.

21. Fred Fishburne says:

I love the meter, the read out, and the way it functions. The auto range is especially useful, and allows quick checking without having to know the exact voltage. The meter has a very detailed manual, easy to read, and step by step instructions for all the functions. The one draw back, and I believe it is a pretty big one, is; it is almost impossible to see the writing on the front of the meter itself, making it difficult to find the function you want. The letters and numbers are a dark green or red on a black background. I actually had to use the manual to find the correct setting, or a magnifying glass. The lack of legebility of the functions on the unit is why I rated it 4.

22. Adebola Oni says:

Equus 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter I own several other digital meters. This one is best, just ordered 2 more. Auto off and AA batteries! Leaving a normal DVM on will kill the costly 9V battery! Its own novel battery testing is fast and easy with LEDs. AC 200mA range used with a shunt(say 1 or 0.1 Ohm precision) can give you higher AC current range! No AC current at all on others. Even has a wriststrap on the back. Much larger digits and autoranging works super. Readings are not ambiguous. My Velleman only reads to 2 MegOhms – Equus 20M. Equus has four ACV ranges vice two for others. Lacks a backlight, hold and transistor gain (hFE) – features I seldom use, anyway. Buy one!

23. Llewelyn James says:

For those of us that have our Fluke meters “disappear” all to often, this low cost meter does the everyday jobs surprisingly well. It’s tool box, not lab quality – and a lot better than the “shrink” specials.

24. Carney Alden says:

This is a decent multimeter that seems accurate and helpful for testing my electronics. The only issue is the time it takes to lock onto the correct range. There is no way to limit the range that it will search so sometimes it can take a while.

25. Ngo Vinet says:

This is a very handy device to have and it seems to work well. I’ve owned the analog versions and they are much harder to use. For the price everyone should have it in their toolbox.

26. Joe Kosterich says:

This is a meter of above average quality for the price. A great meter to have for the do it your-selfer for around the house, car or boat. However, one function that is lacking is high range AC current (amps) the description says it measures AC current but doesn’t say that the max AC amps it can test is 200mA or .2 amps, not really practical for ANY AC current measurments. You can measure the current of say a 20 watt AC light bulb with this meter. The PC you are using to read this draws about 3.5-4 AMPS or about 3500-4000 milli amps, this meter maxes out at 200 ma.

I bought it for AC amps but can’t use it for that. I’ll keep it as a back up meter but I have to buy a better meter for AC amps. I guess that’s what I get for being a cheap skate… time to buy a Fluke!

27. Toni Young says:

I received the Equus multimeter about a month ago. I’ve used it very frequently at home checking batteries, home appliances etc.. My conclusion is that the Equus Multimeter is worth every penny I paid for it. It is shock resistant, (I dropped it from a 4′ stand and nothing happened to it). Is accurate, the auto power off feature is very useful. You don’t need any more for home use.